Saturday, September 25, 2010

Go Older, Young Man

Another great guy overlooked. H.P. IN MIAMI BEACH wrote in to Dear Abby:

I am a 20-year-old male who finds it awkward talking to women my age. I do OK approaching older women for conversation, but become tongue-tied with someone under 25. I would like to meet someone special and develop a relationship with her, but at this rate it's not going to happen anytime soon.
You shouldn't be looking to meet a woman like that for at least another five years, or until you achieve your dream (or are on your way to doing so), establishing yourself professionally.

The women your age are dating older guys, or stuck in dying high school relationships, and probably don't care about the same things you care about, so the conversation is usually lacking. You said you are OK with older women. That's where the good, uh, conversation is. My advice would be to date some older women. Notice that is plural. Keep multiple plates spinning- don't allow it to become an exclusive boyfriend/girlfriend situation with any of them (and no women with minor children). And you know what? If you do that, I suspect younger women will start to show an obvious interest in you.

Dear Abby told him to smile and goes on to plug something she wrote.

If you want to get to know someone, walk over and say, "Hi, I'm 'Hal' -- what's your name?"
That can work as parties where you know a lot of people. But if you’re somewhere, like a restaurant that has a bar, you can wait for them to come to you if you look like you are waiting for a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!