Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Hard One to Swallow

The headline reads "Oral Sex Linked to Rise in Men's Throat Cancer". Mainsteam news stories, especially the headlines, are often sensationalized or misleading when it comes to science news, medical news included. So you can search for the research if you want to get the facts. But I was stuck by just the idea presented by the headline.

I do not take cancer lightly, especially since it has killed loved ones and heroes of mine (who can't say that?). But hey, if I get cancer because I have enjoyed cunnlingus (a lot), then so be it. Some guys get cancer from smoking cigarettes. In this scenario, at least I would have gotten it from something that tastes much better. Susan Donadson James reports for ABC News.

But now, growing research in Europe and the United States is implicating HPV in a rising number of cases of head and neck cancers in men, and many doctors are recommending that all boys be vaccinated as well.
So the suspected problem is HPV, not cunnlingus per se.

HPV can also cause cancers of the vulva, vagina, penis and anus, and there is some evidence it is associated with esophageal and lung cancers.
Hey, but fornication is no big deal, right?

I do imagine this will be one more reason for the guys who have sworn off women entirely (and I'm not talking about gay guys) to stick to their guns... uh, so to speak.

The article becomes sort of an ad for Gardasil, which meant that it attracted all kind of comments from people concerned about vaccines and that one especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!