Thursday, July 01, 2010

Going For It

One woman wrote to Dr. Laura to talk about hanging out with fourteen other married mothers of young children.

But, when the topic switched to sex within our marriages, (or the lack thereof!), I instantly felt as though I had been transported into a typical Dr. Laura phone call! Oh, the excuses that came pouring forth from the women bordered on cliche! From, "I'm just too tired at the end of the day", to "I don't need one more thing on my to-do list", to "I just really want him to initiate, but he doesn't anymore", were the typical explanations for why these women had essentially cut their husbands off from sex.
And they were probably looking for reassurance and sympathy. The letter writer wrote that she used to be the same boat:

With your voice echoing in my head, I accepted responsibility for my actions, stopped saying no, quit looking at sex as another chore to endure, and began to make my husband's need for sex a priority. Thanks to your constant encouragement to "treat kindly" and "never pass-up a perfectly good orgasm," my husband and I are enjoying the best sex of our entire 12 year marriage!
Nice, huh? She paid it forward...

Then, I looked right at them, summoned all my courage, and in typical Dr. Laura fashion said, "The power to restart your sex life is all yours, Ladies! Instead of saying sex is one more thing you have to do, say sex is one more thing you get to do. Start realizing that you've earned and deserve an orgasm at the end of your long days. Put the kids in bed early, and tell your husband that you need him to rock your world. Tell him you're sorry for rejecting him so many times, and make it safe for him to initiate again by letting him know that if he asks, you won't say no, because you know that sex is so valuable to him. Acknowledge that it's normal to take a few minutes to get-in-the-mood. Push past those minutes, and you'll find that you are more interested than you realized! And after your orgasm, I guarantee neither you nor your husband will regret that you took 30 minutes out of your day to connect with each other on such a physically intimate level.
As a husband, this looks right to me!

On another note - with the holiday weekend (Independence Day here in the USA), I will likely by busier than usual with family, and thus not updated the blog. Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good to me too! As a wife, I definitely think that making my relationship with my husband better is a priority and a healthy, normal sex life is a huge part of that. Glad to see that this woman was able to articulate what she felt and learned to others. Hopefully it will help them. Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!