Monday, November 29, 2010

When Overthinking Takes Away From a Song

I own two versions on the song "Always on My Mind" – Elvis' and the Pet Shop Boys'. I've heard the Willie Nelson version, too. I like all of them, which has indicated to me that it is a good song. Haven't heard the numerous other verions from other performers.

I've enjoyed this song for many years, as supposedly a lament for a great lost love.

But the other day, it hit me that the lyrics depict a very selfish person, or at least someone incompetent at relationships.

Consider...

"Maybe I didn't treat you
Quite as good as I should have
Maybe I didn't love you
Quite as often as I could have
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time

You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind"

And...

"Maybe I didn't hold you
All those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
I'm so happy that you're mine
If I make you feel second best
Girl, I'm sorry I was blind

You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind"

Okay, so the person is saying they were constantly thinking about their lover, but didn't do much to show them love. That leads me to think that the person doing the singing was dwelling on their lover's adoration for them, what having that person as a lover says about them... basically an ego and fantasy thing. But for all of the thinking about the other person, those thoughts didn't prompt the person to lift a finger to show affection or even tell her nice things.

Geez.

I wish I wouldn't have thought about it that way.

Show your spouse affection. Speak loving things to them. Think about what they need and want, and then do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!