Thursday, April 08, 2010

Prospective Employers and Improper Questions

"Sick of It" wrote to Dear Margo with complaints about questions she is being asked in job interviews.

Within the first five minutes of these interviews, I am being asked about my marital status, whether I live with someone and have kids, and, the worst: "How are you paying your bills right now?" I almost walked out of the interview on that one.
Dear Margo replied:

I would say the appropriateness of such questions depends on the industry and the job description. For example, if traveling were part of the job, a prospective employer would legitimately need to gauge the family responsibilities you have. The "living with someone" question is definitely out of bounds. I can’t tell whether you think, by the nature of these questions, that these men are hitting on you.
From what I understand, interviewers are supposed to be extremely confined in what questions they ask and how, because they fear lawsuits or otherwise running afoul of the law in discrimination and sexual harassment. I've also heard from interviewers some amazing stories about what job applicants said in interviews. But I digress.

I'm in favor of property rights and freedom of association. As such, I believe employers should be free to ask any question, and the applicant should be free to not answer. Employment is a mutual decision. If someone doesn't want to hire me because I'm a married father and they think I'm less likely to be willing to travel or work long and odd hours, so be it. If they won't hire me because I won't tell them my favorite sexual position, or because I'm a Christian, then so be it. It is their loss.

Now, anyone who works for me would be limited in what questions they ask, out of respect and courtesy, but in a perfect world that would be by my choice.

As far as the letter writer – she should ask herself if she really wants to work at places where they ask those kinds of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!