Thursday, April 23, 2009

Still More Reactions to Dr. Laura’s Latest Book

I came across a couple of blog entries of note. Over at Out of the Boondocks, we get more of the same stuff I analyzed here and here.

First, she tries to discount Dr. Laura by playing the "hypocrite" card, telling is to find in all by googling it. Then she moves on to previous work by Dr. Laura.

One of her books "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" pretty much compares men to house pets...So to say that he has simple needs, and if I should meet them I will make him completely happy and faithful to me is a tad condescending to both of us, no?
What she is apparently saying is that her husband's needs are not simple. Notice this gives her an excuse not to meet them. And, why bother – even if she does meet her husband's needs, he'll still be unhappy and unfaithful. Sounds like great marriage material.

She touts a woman who greets her man with a kiss, tends to the kids without complaint, and does not challenge his ideas.
Does she really say that mothers should never complain to their husbands about tending to the kids nor challenge his ideas? I never got that impression, and I listen much more than this blogger.

On to her newest book, titled "In Praise of Stay at Home Moms". I think it's a little misleading. It should read, "Outright Bashing Working Moms and their Life Choices". Now, I will not claim to have read the book.
But you do know how it should be titled, eh?

But from the quotes, I can see that she's still touting her 1950's agenda.
Yes, you see, parents rasing their own kids and having roles is something that should be relegated to the past and only took place in the 1950s.

She goes on to criticize comments made by "SAHMs" on the blog entry on which she is basing her reaction.

Some of these ladies bring God into it (which I don't find relevant in a society where we all have a different idea of God.
What if we do? So what? We all have a different idea of lots of things – right and wrong, law, fairness, etc. - doesn't mean we can't invoke them.

Really, now, if you want to make an argument, you'll need to come to the table with more than that).
What is more than God? And what if they are only appealing to other theists? Very few people claim to be atheists. So appealing to God is actually a very good idea.

Others bring in the economy (which not everyone seems to have a grip on how it really works).
You mean – like living within your means, including planning, saving, and insuring – will allow a family to get by on one income while the kids are too young for school?

And a few just bring in their own personal preference (good for them for sticking up for their ideals).
I see – so it is good for them if it is something they personally prefer... unless their person preference involves devotion to God.

Oh, and please don't feel sorry for my son for going to daycare (a quote from the good Dr, "My heart hurts for what these women miss and what their children miss from them."). He's a happy little kid.
When I was a kid, my best friend was killed in an accident. I'm a happy guy. Does that mean it was a good thing that my friend was killed in an accident? Your kid is probably very aware of your feelings, and doesn't want to upset you. However, he probably would have preferred his mother's care over that of a stranger.

Then there's this blog entry, where the writer is "outraged" at Dr. Laura. As it turns out, though, it seems to be a lot of strawmen that are upsetting her. Notice her use of "no" and "all", when Dr. Laura does not say things that way. And, there's the usual "what about dads staying home" question, and the charge that Dr. Laura didn't stay home for her son.

Sheesh. Is there anyone blogging out there challenging Dr. Laura on things she has actually said or written? Why do so many bash her for NOT saying something, when in actuality, she has said it but they just haven't heard her say it? And if praising SAHMs is an automatic trashing of other women, then I guess we can't ever offer praise for just about anything, but someone will always be left out.

2 comments:

  1. You never know. It IS possible that some children ARE better off being raised in day-orphanages. If mom can't get her head around the idea that no one can be paid to love her kid as much as she does, that those pre-school days go by fast (well, the days and nights are pretty slow, but the years are fast), when she has a teenager she barely knows and surprisingly doesn't listen to her ... hmmm ...

    I just always go to the image Victor Frankel presents in Man's Search For Meaning: Imagine yourself on your deathbed ... which decision will you wish you had made? Now make that decision.

    It's great and hard and stressful and simple; I will have wished I savored each moment God gives me with these brilliant creatures and thank my husband for working so hard to give me this opportunity. Such personal growth, so much refining of the spirit, pushing and stretching beyond what you thought possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my daughter every day. If my wife were to say "I'm going back to work. YOU stay home and look after the kid(s) and keep house, and when I come home I wanted to be greeted at the door with a hug and a kiss."... I would say SIGN ME UP! (Actually, before we had our first kid, my wife offered to support me if I wanted to take time off to work on some projects... but I declined... that's another, long story).

    Don't get me wrong... I enjoy my career, but it is just work and can't compete with my kid.

    So far, my wife would absolutely not make the offer because SHE enjoys being the parent who is there.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!