Thursday, July 23, 2009

Girl Power That I Can Cheer

Kudos to an 11-year old heroine! (I did spell that right, didn't I?) Denisee Salazar of the Orange County Register brings us a story from Anaheim with an almost-perfect ending.

The incident occurred at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the park in the 2100 block of South Haster Street while the [three year old] boy was at the playground playing with his 11-year-old sister and 12-year-old cousin. Their mothers were watching over them, said Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez.
Great - getting the kids away from the TV and out where they can play and exercise - and not putting them in some day orphanage. So far, so good.

The boy was sliding down a slide when a man grabbed him and then ran northbound through the park carrying him, Martinez said.
Scary stuff. What kind of horrors were awaiting this child? Ah, but this is where the story gets good...

The child's sister caught up to the man, kicked him in the leg, and threw dirt in his face.
YES!!! Now there's a sister who deserves some respect from her siblings.

The man dropped the boy and ran northbound across Orangewood Avenue, then westbound and across Haster Street, Martinez said. Another man, possibly an accomplice, ran behind him.

The man was nearly hit by a truck as he ran across Orangewood, Martinez said
.
Ah - darn it. If only that driver had sped up a little, the cops wouldn't still be looking for this creep.

1 comment:

  1. Three year olds are easy to catch (unless mommy is chasing them) - I hope they make a big to do about it, for the brave little girl's sake AND to keep parents on their toes.

    I HATE stories like this ... just make it so hard to trust the world and let your kids grow up and play without hover-mothering. At least this time it had a happy ending. When it comes to people who hurt kids, I'm not very forgiving, I say death penalty, no 2nd chance to hurt kids. That's what I say!

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!