Tuesday, December 08, 2009

These Studies are Really Pissing Me Off

There's a study that claims to reveal who the angriest Americans are. Here's the article by Andrea Thompson, senior writer at LiveScience.com.

Anger is more likely among the young, those with children at home, and the less educated, a new study finds.
My immediate thoughts...

Young people have raging hormones, less immediate control over their lives (as in, less money and experience), and less experience in dealing with their emotions. Maybe they haven't had time to get to a professional yet who can prescribe emotion-quelling meds to them.

Those with children at home have less sleep, more battles with someone living under the same roof, and more of a stake in the future, and thus are more likely to get angry (and let others know about it) about things that will cause the childless to shrug.

The less educated may be upset about having fewer options.

A national survey of 1,800 Americans aged 18 and older questioned participants on how and when they feel angry in order to build "a broader social portrait of anger in the United States," said study researcher Scott Schieman, now at the University of Toronto.
I'd be interested in a larger sampling.

While anger is a normal human emotion, it could be detrimental if you hold on to it too long. And those who express their anger might actually live longer than those who keep it bottled in, one study found.
The important thing is to find a healthy outlet, as well as to appropriately express anger at things that deserve it.

For one, people under 30 experienced anger of all forms or intensities more frequently than did older adults. This was mainly due to the fact that young people are more likely to be affected by three core stressors that can trigger angry feelings, Schieman said:

* Time pressures
* Economic hardship
* Interpersonal conflict at the workplace
Yup.

Schieman's findings will be detailed in a chapter of the forthcoming International Handbook of Anger, to be released in January 2010.
Now that should be an interesting read. When you buy your copy, try not to throw it at the bookstore clerk.

I'm glad this article doesn't try to say that all anger is bad, because it isn't. In some cases, people who are angry should be asking those who aren't, "Why aren't you angry?" Followers of Christ should note that Jesus demonstrated righteous and appropriate anger, as recorded in the Bible.

3 comments:

  1. Did someone really have to go and spend who knows how much money on a study just to state common knowledge: that people under the age of 30 tend to experience anger a bit more frequently than those who are older?
    I'd like to see that study again after this blowout with the economy and such. It would probably then read: "Poeple under 100 experienced anger...more frequently than did older adults."

    ReplyDelete
  2. sth_txs5:50 AM

    As I recall, Everything Must Go, you were being serviced every week by a lover, so I would imagine you had something to be happy about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sth_txs...

    I'm a generally happy person, but I have had times of happiness and depression while both "partnered" and not.

    Weekly "service" is descriptive of certain periods of my marriage, not any of my previous sexual relationships.

    With my first "serious" girlfriend, even though our relationship was doomed from the start, I was fairly happy and I didn't feel like lusting after other women. That's because she was great in bed and it was happening 3+ times a week.

    The next one... that was more often than once a week, if not as much as with the first one. But that relationship was horrible, stressing me out and shortening my temper with innocent bystanders. There was more than once when I felt like, "I should be with THIS woman, instead of my girlfriend."

    The third one was back to a consistant 3 times a week level, and again I was happy, trying to ignore the "fact" I could see - that this relationship was doomed as well. I held out hope that she would change (stupid of me) and make the "doom" go away. As it was, we had incomaptible goals for married life.

    I had flings after that... no official girlfriend. But within those flings, it was always more than once a week.

    I also had times of celibacy when I was happy.

    Now that I'm married, there have been significant strecthes of the marriage where it has been once a week or slightly more often. I know that's not a ringing endorsement of marriage, but I'm speaking the truth. Yes, I want more, but the marriage is more than sex, and I am generally happy. I also know that there are many studies that say married people have sex more often than unmarried people. This is not my experience when you compare it to the times I was dating or was in a relationship, especially if you exclude the time I was dating the woman who would become my wife. We were very affectionate with each other 3+ times a week while dating, but didn't have sex.

    Perhaps, as certain conditions change and our marriage accumulates more years, I'll be able to say that on average, I had sex more frequently as a married man than I had it as an unmarried-but-dating man.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!