Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dear Margo Advises a Man How to Deal With Mrs. Robinson

DESPERATE writes in to Dear Margo:
I am a 32-year-old man. After a string of older women, I have happily, though uncharacteristically, been dating a woman eight years my junior for about a year.

She may be a little too young to be mature enough for commitment.

I am deeply in love with her, and we have been seriously discussing moving in together.


Shacking up is a very bad idea.
She is unusually close to her mother and sings her praises every chance she gets.

Uh-oh. Being close to your parents can be a good thing. But will she be closer to her mom than you if you ever married – you know, assuming you’d be stupid enough to marry her even though she’d move in without being married? Married couples need to “leave” their parents and “cleave” to each other.
Her mother gave birth to her at 16 years of age and still managed to give her a pretty good future, even as a single mom.

The better thing would have been to give her up for adoption, because 1) married adults could have given her a better homes; 2) she clearly regrets missing out on her younger years, as we’ll see, and; 3) she makes bad decisions, as we’ll see.

Unfortunately, her mother has made some obvious passes at me. It started with affectionate behavior and light flirtation, which included playful allusions to my former lovers and how they were her age rather than her daughter's.

And she knows about that because??? You told her? Mistake. Her daughter told her? That is none of her business – your trust was betrayed. I know it is common for a lot of girls to do this with their girlfriends, sisters, and mothers, but it isn’t right.

Do you really want to be with a young woman whose mother does such things? Think about that carefully, because this woman was her main role model, raising her alone. And I know something about this, because I was once infatuated with a girl, who it turns out wanted to be “just friends”, but her mother took up an interest in me.

Part of me is thinking "bail out," but I don't want to lose my girl.

That's because you are lazy and "getting some" regularly. Maybe she isn’t right for you, but you can't see that because you're thinking with your penis.

I also want to avoid damaging her relationship with her mother if at all possible.
Too bad her mother isn't as concerned.

She should be told what her mother did. What if it happens with the next guy, and the next guy?

Dear Margo responds:
Here's what you do to keep your girlfriend and not blow the whistle on her mother:

Yeah, notice that Margo agreed to your qualifications. You should move on, and you should tell the girl why.

3 comments:

  1. If this guy needs to get advice about this situation, he’s gotten bigger problems. He’s getting all the “get out now” signs stupid people ignore in horror movies. He needs to get hit with common sense stick. Unfortunately, the Acme Company discontinued them.

    First, I think the age difference is a bit of a problem. If she was 32 and he was 40, I would be more optimistic about this. I got married at 23 to a 34 year old and I was mature for my age, but my 20s could have been used for better pursuits than marriage. My ex-husband and I were never on the same page. He just wanted to get married and I seemed like a nice girl.

    It sounds like the mother is jealous of this guy. This is a classic way to break up a couple. This woman is doing an old and selfish trick to keep her mitts attached to her daughter. It’s not about this guy. The mother does not want to let her daughter go. If he tells the daughter, she won't believe him. She won't figure it out until she is 40 and unmarried! I had cousin who had the SAME problem. She had to move to another state to find a husband.

    If he REALLY wants to get married, he has to start looking at women closer to his age with the same goals as him. He probably does not really want to get married, but is very chemically attached to the 24 year old. Our bodies do play tricks on us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points, Mary Anne. Right on. There is a chance he doesn't really want to be in a serious relationship (as in shacking up or being married), and so he picked a young woman he can't do that with.

    There was a time when I looked back and realized that was what I was doing. I kept getting attached to women I could not marry. "Could not" because of our age differences, or we wanted different lifestyles.

    Fortunately, I got out of that rut, thereby saving myself and some other women more pain.

    But this guy could really want a life partner, but ignoring the red flags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:46 PM

    I think I read an update to this story on reddit from 3 years later. The dude found out that surreptious recording was legal in his state and got evidence. His suspicion about the chick's extreme attachment to her mother clouding her judgement proved correct. She was more upset about the impact of knowing the truth than her mother's betrayal, but there was a happy ending. He realized that the relationship couldn't be salvaged and bailed out.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!