Tuesday, August 11, 2009

That's Business

The Dr. Laura Show is leaving KFI, its flagship radio station in Los Angeles, where her show was before her national syndication and has been during her national syndication up to this moment. She'll subsequently be on a much less powerful and popular station - KFWB AM 980. I have no doubt that she'll raise their ratings, but it will be nearly impossible for her to get the same ratings (or reach) that she did on KFI. There's always satellite radio and StreamLink, should KFWB or another radio station carrying her in the area not reach a listener's house, car, or office.

It is interesting to see CBS-owned KFWB, which used to be headline news 24/7, taking on talk, when earlier this year CBS-owned KLSX FM flipped from talk to Top 40, thereby depriving us of Adam Carolla, Tom Leykis, and others.

I especially miss Leykis, even though we disagree and some very basic things about life. I also still miss Howard Stern, who had been on KLSX before leaving for satellite radio, to be replaced by Carolla.

I learned as a kid not to get too attached to radio personalities or station formats (thanks to KMET 94.7 and KIQQ 100.3) Glad I learned that lesson early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!