Thursday, January 07, 2010

Love the One You're With

I don't really know what happened between Kate Gosselin and her ex-husband Jon. I know that they made a lot of babies and then stuck them on TV in a regular "reality" show. I generally think inviting TV crews to follow your minor kids around or portray your marriage on an ongoing basis is a bad idea. The Duggars might be an exception.

From what was portrayed through their TV and has been portrayed in the gossip media – which often is a poor reflection of truth – Kate wasn't the warmest or most respectful wife, and Jon has been acting poorly for a while.

What I did notice is that now that she is divorced, Kate has acquired hair extensions so that she has "long hair" again.

Why do women do this? Why do they go back to long hair, dressing nicely, and hit the gym after divorce? The cynical answer is that they are "back on the market" and want to get the attention of the highest bidder they can. When they are married, they don't feel like they need to try because they already have a guy, and if he wants to leave, he'll probably get penalized for doing so. This isn't a ringing endorsement for marriage, ladies. Why can't women like this look nice for their husbands?

Maybe Jon was always a creep and she was deliberately trying to turn him off and knew they were heading for divorce and so didn't want to bother. But there are probably cases out there where making an effort to attract her husband would prevent a woman from going through a divorce in the first place.

Same goes for that type of guy who will do things for his second wife he wouldn't do for his first wife. By romancing and listening to his first wife, he may be able to keep the marriage fun and healthy, and thus keep his first wife.

No matter how she does herself up now, guys should avoid Kate Gosselin, at least until all of those eight kids are grown. It doesn't matter how nice her hair gets. And Jon should concentrate on his kids and not be bringing more drama and turmoil into their lives. And no, I'm under no delusion that my opinion matters to – or will even be read by – either of them.

2 comments:

  1. I like the thought behind this post, but I don't think it works very well (at least at my house it's not). I'm in the best shape I've ever been, keeping my hair longish, cooking good food (which he's rarely home to eat), trying to be sweet, flirty, sexy ... when I get the chance. He works SO much (we're talking 50-60+ hour weeks) and I can't help but take it a little personally, that he'd just rather be there than with me. I've been begging him to adjust his schedule for years or look for something else and he tells me he can't make enough money anywhere without putting in these hours.

    You read a lot of advice columns: What's a girl to do? (Sit and suffer kind of sucks ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he wants your hair longer, can't you put find a way to keep it out of the way when he's not around?

    Sorry to hear about the longer hours. I can remember it being one of the complaints my own mother had. It is a reality of today's work world. It is most likely NOT a matter of not wanting to be with you... it is more likely what he finds necessary for his job. Do you see that he would have the ability to do another job that would pay enough and require fewer hours? You've probably discerned what his skills, talents, strengths, etc. are.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!