Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thomas Friedman on President's Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

In case you haven't seen it, you should check out New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman's opinion piece on this subject. Friedman is no anti-Obama critic.

He calls on Obama to give an acceptance speech that includes this statement...

I will accept this award on behalf of the American soldiers who stand guard today at outposts in the mountains and deserts of Afghanistan to give that country, and particularly its women and girls, a chance to live a decent life free from the Taliban's religious totalitarianism.

I will accept this award on behalf of the American men and women who are still on patrol today in Iraq, helping to protect Baghdad's fledgling government as it tries to organize the rarest of things in that country and that region — another free and fair election.

I will accept this award on behalf of the thousands of American soldiers who today help protect a free and Democratic South Korea from an unfree and Communist North Korea.

I will accept this award on behalf of all the American men and women soldiers who have gone on repeated humanitarian rescue missions after earthquakes and floods from the mountains of Pakistan to the coasts of Indonesia. I will accept this award on behalf of American soldiers who serve in the peacekeeping force in the Sinai desert that has kept relations between Egypt and Israel stable ever since the Camp David treaty was signed.

I will accept this award on behalf of all the American airmen and sailors today who keep the sea lanes open and free in the Pacific and Atlantic so world trade can flow unhindered between nations.
Please check out the entire piece. I think the speech Friedman proposes would send the right message to the rest of the world in response to those who bestowed the aware on Obama because they believe he will make the USA more like Europe.

2 comments:

  1. That was amazing, thank you for linking. Sadly, I'm not holding my breadth. A statement of this nature would require that Obama actually realize what his military does for him and for all of us. Take it from this military wife - he doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. snowflake,

    Whether I've said it before or not: thanks for what you and your family do for the rest of us. I have the utmost regard for the military men and women and their families. I thank God I'm an American and that our nation has thus far been preserved, thanks to all of the military personnel.

    One area where I would support increasing government funding big time is to take care of our active duty and veteran military personnel and their families.

    Beyond that, I think the proposed speech says it best.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!