Saturday, May 15, 2010

Wilt Chamberlain Still Makes Him Look Like a Beginner

"Patrick" wrote in to Dear Margo and, according to the column, included his phone number.

I am a 65-year-old man who's enjoyed a great sex life, from the age of 16, with more than 400 women.
This is entirely possible. Do the numbers... even if you narrow it to ages 25-65, that's 40 years, back to 1970, after "free love" was well underway. That's ten a year – less than one a month. Entirely possible.

I am writing you about the wives who write about their husbands having affairs. You women just don’t get it. We are doing what we were programmed to do. The primary function of the male of the species is to breed.
Darwinian thinking (or, possibly just him looking for and excuse), Hey, if philosophical naturalism and Darwinism is true, he's right. But on the flip side, we couldn't blame women for doing whatever they felt like, too. Like cutting off our balls.

I married my first wife when I was 24.
You should have never have done that if you weren't going to stay faithful, especially if she didn't consent to such conditions.

Shortly after the wedding, her sister and two of her best friends came on to me.
Sound like quality people.

When I told my wife about their behavior, she got mad at me and said these women would never do such a thing.
One of the two of you was delusional or in denial. Which, we don't know.

Two years later, I had sex with my neighbor's wife, and she told my wife, thinking I would marry her if we got divorced.
Wow, you know how to foster a strong neighborhood and treat your wife don't you?

Men felt Tiger Woods did nothing wrong.
Some men. Some men do think he did something wrong, and that the women also did something wrong (though they seem to be getting rewarded for their wrongs). Some men think the only thing he did wrong was get married in the first place.

You women need to grow up and face the truth.
The truth is, it is possible for a man to stay faithful. Many have. It is easier when his wife remains his girlfriend, but he can stay faithful either way.

When your husband has sex with another woman, he is not cheating; he is following his biology.
Why isn't it possible that he's doing both? And would you say this to excuse your buddy taking a dump in your new car? That's biology, too.

I could go on and tell you more, but I don't have the time right now because there is a married woman a few blocks away waiting for me.
There's Judge waiting for you, too. And waiting for me, too. Good luck with that. As for me, I throw myself on the mercy of the court.

Look, I like sex. I like women. I like having sex with women. I fully expect that the only woman I will ever have sex with again is my wife. If there were no negative consequences of any sort – spiritual, emotional, physical – if it would be no harm to my wife, kids, my, or anyone else – then sex with lots of other women would be great. But it is possible and beneficial to channel our urges into marriage with one woman – because there are consequences to sex – some of them being emotional. It is better to bond with my wife and not bond in that way with anyone else.

I'm not going to say that sleeping around is okay. But don't make it worse by dragging a wife and kids into it. If you're going to do it, don't get married, get snipped, and stick to doing it with childless, unmarried women. There are plenty who will have you.

1 comment:

  1. curiepoint9:43 PM

    You know, I really despise that whole "it's only natural" arguement when it comes to issues of fidelity.

    It is also perfectly natural to relieve ourselves wherever we happen to be standing, or kill our rivals to remove them from our way. We don't do these things precisely because we are not animals.

    Has it really become unfashionable to regard humanity as being something of which to be ashamed? Where is all of this posturing coming from that evokes nature as being somehow more valuable than rising above it?

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!