Thursday, May 06, 2010

Deep Voiced Guys Preferred by Women With High-Pitched Voices

Charles Q. Choi reports that a study published in the journal Behavioral Ecology indicates...

Women with high-pitched voices apparently prefer deep-voiced, manly men, according to new research that sheds light on the rules of attraction.
I have a deep voice, and I know it is one of my more attractive attributes. I have had people of both sexes tell me I should be in radio and refer positively to how my voice carries over the phone, in a room, or wherever. My height is average. My face, I've always considered plain, with my eyes being the best attribute there. "Bedroom eyes" I have heard them called. Even when I am in my best shape, I consider my overall appearance to be average. In fact, my height is average. Besides my voice, my other readily apparent attractive attribute is my full head of thick hair. I like that... on top of my head. I don't like it everywhere else. Male models/stars these days all seem to remove all of their chest hair, after all. My wife seems happy enough. I wanted to write about a something else about my body here, but it probably falls under "Too Much Information".

As the article points out, though, it is a matter of more than just choosing a romantic partner.

"People obviously prefer to marry and date people they consider attractive, but also are more likely to cooperate with attractive individuals, prefer to hire attractive people and even prefer to vote for those they think are attractive," said psychologist Benedict Jones at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland.
Attractive people have an advantage. That's just the reality of life.

Intriguingly, past research has shown that women with high-pitched voices are not only thought of as sounding more attractive but often have faces others consider more attractive as well. Further studies revealed these voices in women are often linked with higher estrogen levels, perhaps serving as a cue to their health and fertility.
Interesting. When I hear a woman with a very high voice, I wonder what trauma happened to her when she was 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 years old (or whatever age it sounds likes). That's thanks to Dr. Drew Pinsky, who can listen to a caller's voice and correctly guess when some bad event happened in her life.

Writing this has reminded me that I need to flirt more with my wife, especially when we're apart, using the pitch of my voice. You might want to think about how you can use your voice to soothe/flirt with your spouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!