Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Warning Against Adultery

This Dear Abby column from today or yesterday has a letter from a man offering a warning to others about committing adultery like he did.

In a story written by a relative of mine, one character recalls that on his wedding day, his long-married uncle tells him that one reason he never cheated was that he didn't want to have to see a cheater when he looked in the mirror.

There are many reasons to avoid adultery - some selfish, some not. Men considering marriage need to keep them in mind as well as married men who are flirting - figuratively or literally - with danger. Perhaps a husband resents his wife. But does he also resent his children, his family, and everyone else who will be hurt?

Put the energy you would be putting in an affair into making your marriage better. That goes for both men and women. I used to hear stories from a woman who was claiming to be cheating on her husband, and that's one thing I thought - why doesn't she put all this effort into being with her own husband?

I've written before about someone close to me who fooled around. It has been many years since that all came out, and even though he is still married, it still hurts his wife and is still thrown in his face by his wife and his children.

Is the temporary thrill worth it? I think it would have to be a very rare case where the answer would be yes.

Love the one you're with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!