Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ugly Ducklings

I wrote recently that my voice is one of my more attractive features, from what others have told me. The funny thing is, when I was growing up I hated my voice. I was convinced it was annoying to people, based on how it sounded to me when I heard myself on a recording – hoarse.
But then I grew up. My voice got full and deep. I also developed an ability to mimic other voices very well that has been good for laughs.

I think it was actress Denise Richards who I saw on a late night talk show, talking about how, when she was growing as a teen, her classmates made fun of how she looked - her legs and lips, in particular. But she grew up filled out, and made a good living on large part because a lot of people found her sexy or beautiful.

Dr. Laura says on her radio show that her parents heard from her school over and over again that she talked too much. Now she has a huge career, largely from talking.

Do you have some aspect of yourself that used to be a negative, or you thought of it as a negative, but through time or change & growth, it has become one of your best features/abilities?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, saw your link on Andrea's blog. :)

    I liked this post because I can relate. When I was a kid my propensity for free-thinking outside the box used to make me a target for teasing. Now it allows me to joyfully follow God's unconventional path for our family: unschooling, international adoption, disability advocacy, etc. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!