Saturday, February 18, 2023

No, Really, I Need A Vacation

ball and chain clipart
I'm not talking about a family vacation. We haven't done one of  those in forever, either.

I'm talking about being away from being a husband (butler) and father.

This is a follow up to this entry.

I think it was a year and a half ago, or so, that I got away for a few days, but that was basically to work with a friend of mine. It could hardly be called a vacation.

I don't need to go anywhere. My wife and our kids could go somewhere. The thing is, they're not going to go anywhere together without me. They'd need to be split up. Likewise, they aren't going to all be home together without me, unless it needs to be that way for work for a few days.

Work.  Heck, as long as it was working from home, it would feel like a vacation (staycation) as long as I didn't have to handle chores and errands, or deal with disputes between the rest of the family.

But... there are pets who'd need care. Pets I didn't want to get because of the expense, the mess, and I knew it would mean more work for me and be limiting as far as getting away.

I'm not talking about  need to see sights or do various activities.

I just want to relax and have a lack of stress for several days.

I want to be able to sleep as long as I want, wake up because I want to wake up and not because something needs to get done right now.

I want to read what I want to read, write what I want to write, watch what I want to watch, listen to what I want to listen to... without interruption, without someone else around who might not like it.

I want to relax in pool that isn't cold, or in a hot tub, or a bath, with no time limit.

If you're new to this blog, especially if you've never been married, you might be asking "Why would you need to get away from your wife? Don't you want to have sex on your vacation?"

HA!!! Oh, that's hilarious. Sex? Probably wouldn't happen. No, if she's around I'll have chores and errands, even if we are somewhere else. My wife doesn't crave vacation sex. She avoided it for an entire long weekend for our anniversary when I'd made arrangements for us to get away. That wasn't an anomaly: sex isn't a priority for her. That's how it is for, probably, most wives who have all the children they wanted and have reached the point in a marriage in which the husband would have to pay lifetime alimony if he left.

I want to be clear I wouldn't be fooling around with anyone on this vacation. No, that's one of the ways I'm very loyal. I'm a married man. My wife wouldn't approve of any involvement with another woman. So, it's her or nothing, which, except for a few restricted minutes every month or so, means it is nothing.

You guys who live alone: Enjoy it! Enjoy your peace and quiet. Enjoy being able to nap, or sit down, or sleep in without someone needing something from you. Enjoy being able to watch a movie or show you want to watch on a big screen, without being interrupted or disapproval or complaints.

Could I schedule a vacation for myself? Not without causing a lot trouble. And I'd probably have a stream of texts and calls I'd have to deal with at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!