Saturday, June 19, 2010

One Reason Kids Are Acting Out, Not Learning

This letter to Dr. Laura from an 8th grade teacher talks about the difficulties his students face because parents make poor decisions about picking a mate and dating.

I can see it in their eyes and hear it in their voices they know they aren't first in their parent's eyes. This is some of what my students tell me:
•"We're moving to Pennsylvania because my mom's boyfriend got a new job there."

•"My stupid dad's girlfriend moved in with her two kids and they keep getting into my stuff!"
•"I hate going home to my stepdad. My mom works nights"
•"My mom and stepdad are divorcing, so we're probably moving and moving schools."
•"My dad's girlfriend was reading my text messages! She has no right! I hate that she lives with us and she and my dad aren't even married!"

The letter-writer is a divorced father who doesn't date.

Once you are a parent, your right for everything in your life to be about you is gone. You have obligations to your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!