Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Importance of Memorial Day

I don’t care what you think about any particular war – it is extremely important for us to remember our fallen soldiers. Memorial Day doesn’t discriminate between reluctant soldiers who were drafted, and those who volunteered. It remembers those who are no longer with us, whenever they served.

There are those who blame our soldiers for war. If we didn’t have a military, there would be no war. That’s a little like saying that without coroners, police, and firefighters, there would be no death, crime, or fires, respectively.

If we didn’t have a military, our fate would be enslavement and destruction by those who hate human liberty.

Without our military, all of the arguments we have about religion, marriage, privacy, bioethics, gender roles, government spending, taxes, public schools, immigration, entertainment content, and environmental protection would be completely trivial because we wouldn’t be free to debate them, if we were even still alive. Rising gas prices would be the least of our troubles.

I remember the soldiers in my own family who have passed on, and I offer my sincerest grattitude to the families who have lost soldiers. I will not forget their sacrifice.

2 comments:

  1. I think the people who are reluctant to embrace the spirit of Memorial Day are more focused on an agenda. I prefer to consider issues separately & I agree that Memorial Day & all that it implies deserves profound respect. I can only imagine those who are uncomfortable here feel a sort of hypocrisy & because the sequence from soldier-to-war-to-innocent death is overshadows their other, lower priority sentiments. What a pity! I cannot say they are "wrong" but it pains me that soldiers who have given everything for unknown countrymen are frequently short-changed. We are all agenda-driven to some degree, and I hope we all consider the potential damage done by a too-narrow subservience to priorities. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:54 AM

    Sorry, have to disagree here.

    No war after 1812 really had anything to do with preserving "freedom" or defending Constitutional liberties. No need to take over the Philipines or Panama or involve ourselves with WWI or WWII, Korea (not legally declared), Vietnam (not legally delcared), or any other conflict after that.

    The military has nothing to do with any of the freedoms you listed. The founders were suspicious of standing armies and we should be to.

    See editorials at:
    www.lewrockwell.com

    http://www.lvrj.com/columnists/Vin_Suprynowicz.html

    The only group that benefits from war are the bankers and politicians. The bankers make more money and the politicians get to steal more liberties and take more of our income.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!