Wednesday, January 09, 2008

There’s Nothing Wrong with Online Dating

People still bag on online dating and matchmaking as if it is somehow fundamentally different from other ways of finding companionship, as if there is no difference between what amounts to the old newspaper personals (like on Yahoo.com) or advanced matchmaing sites like eHarmony.com

There was a time when most of the people online were tech nerds and women “on the edge”. Frankly, most of the women online back then were not very attractive, to put it politely. Not that the men were studs, either, but the men had a marketable skill, something that makes them attractive to women looking for a serious partner. Men really don’t care all that much what a woman does for a living, unless he can cite it as evidence to other guys about how hot she is, or unless he wouldn’t want to be married to someone in that profession – like a stripper.

Anyway, I find the present-day dismissal by some of finding a partner online to be outdated.

Dating or finding a partner is a process that has a history of changing with technology. In the U.S., when most people lived in agriculture-dominated and rural areas, men would court women by going to the home in which they lived – usually their father or brother’s home – and spending time there, often with other family members of hers present. With the automobile and the population shift to dense urban areas, it was easy for couples to get away from their families and find entertainment in town, and to find a secluded place to be alone.

And if you don’t think that “the pill” changed dating, you are fooling yourself.

So, with the rise of user-controlled online communications, it is no surprise that such technology is also having an impact on how people find each other, especially now that most adults are online.

And really, why is this alternative dismissed by some? What are the other ways people find partners?

Let’s see… courting is out in most places, and very few people go the arranged marriage route.

There’s the workplace, but the risks of raising favoritism and sexual harassment issues are very real – especially for men, as most of the people who investigate alleged sexual harassment and discrimination are women, and if a dating situation goes badly, how good is it for everyone to have those people working in the same place?

Church, temple or synagogue can be a good place, especially since it is more likely you will be religiously compatible, but this carries the same risk of awkwardness as workplace dating.

Many people meet through a common activity or hobby. This can be a great way to meet someone. But it still carries a the risk of the awkwardness factor and splits within that enthusiast community, and people who are fundamentally incompatible can still enjoy the same activities.

There are people who like to set up two of their friends, which can also carry the awkwardness factor. Plus, when a woman sets her friend up with a guy, she is telling them both “I’m not attracted to him, but you may be.” With reminds me that men can't date their female "friends", because if they are "friends" in the first place it is because the woman is not attracted to him.

Some people are set up by family members. For a lot of people, this spells disaster. Some people “steal” their date from a family member, which of course is a recipe for an even bigger disaster. Hey, but at least they didn’t discover each other online!

Bars and clubs can be a great place to meet someone – as long as you are just looking for a casual good time. But there are guys who don’t like to waste their money buying booze for a woman and all of her friends, or have no interest in “dancing”. And really, why is this any better than finding someone online? You both like to party. So what?

Finally, some people meet on the street or in transit, like on a flight. Again, why is this better than finding someone online?

Finding someone online can carry the benefit of more readily determining that someone has common goals, values, interests, likes, and dislikes as you. Yes, people online can be lying about themselves. No, communicating online is not the same thing as face-to-face interaction. So what? People you meet the other ways lie about themselves, too, and in either case it is up to you to figure it out. E-mails and instant messages aren’t supposed to replace face-to-face interaction any more than a phone call or snail mail is.

Let me be clear here. I’m referring to finding someone online, not the mistake of thinking that you are “dating” someone if you’ve never met them face-to-face and don’t see them regularly face-to-face. Online communications are only a tool in finding someone and a help in staying in touch. Once you have found someone who might be right for what you need at that time, it is up to you to actually date them. If that is how it goes, there is nothing wrong with “online dating”.

4 comments:

  1. I like the convenience of online dating, but sometimes the guys freak me out. One guy was already telling me to take down my online profile after one telephone call! I made sure to look my worse when we met for coffee.

    Since you are a guy, tell me how guys come up with personalities from just looking at a picture? I get all this stuff about how "sweet and kind" I am from just a pic. I told one guy, "that's what the last one said before I buried him under my stairs." He got this shocked look on his face and I said, "I'm just kidding. I don't have any stairs." Yes, I had a little fun at his expense.

    I'm all ears for your insight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mary Anne - I hope you check back, because I don't know how else to contact you. Your blog is closed to outsiders, after all.

    Thanks for stopping by and thanks for reading. You seem to have an excellent sense of humor - I can tell from your picture. Kidding...

    There are both men and women who are odd and think they have a relationship going after a single e-mail or phone call.

    Meeting for coffee was a good move. It says "I'm not having sex with you." Good.

    The guys are lying - trying to flatter you when they say they know something about you from your picture. Sometimes they are simply being hopeful... wishing that you will be sweet and kid. Other times, they think such flattery will get them places.

    Pictures are more helpful for determing if the guy will find you attractive or not, but pictures can be misleading. Like when they are from 20 years ago, for example. I know some women find men shallow for wanting to see pictures before meeting up in person, but think about it... male physiology is such that he will not be able to function if he finds you instantly unattractive, and if he can't function, then there is no sex... unless you can find a messed up guy who likes perpetually one-sided sex. But I'm already getting too detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback Ken. I had to make my blog private, because I was stalked.

    I don't mind guys needing current pictures or even the questions of whether I am height and weight appropriate. I tell them the truth, I am large enough for my own zip code.

    Maybe some girls/women fall for the flattery, but I get suspicious when a stranger compares me to Mother Teresa before we've met. Not that I am not as generous and loving as Mother Teresa. I am and then some.

    Oh, I always buy my own coffee too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I like the thought of arranged marriages. Think about it, you have an even playing field. Arranged marriages do better statistically than romantic ones. I wish my parents had been that thoughtful with me. All the time you have to waste to find "the one."

    I wish Nancy Grace would write a book about how she got married and pregnant in one month at the age of 48. I would be the first in line for a copy.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!