Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Holding a Partner Hostage

Dear Abby printed a couple of letters that caught my eye.

TROUBLE IN SALINAS, CALIF. wrote:

For the last two years I have been going out with a guy I'll call "Ricky."
From what the letter says later, it sounds like Ricky is a minor - a kid. Two years is a long time.

My problem is I don't love him anymore. A few weeks ago I told him I no longer wanted to be with him, and he started crying. He scared me when he said his life was in my hands.
It is not uncommon for teens to feel that way, especially if they've never had a relationship before. Add in that this kid doesn't live with his dad, and you probably have a guy who is far removed from his masculinity. With his mom working, he is desperate for someone to talk with, and so he latched on to this girl. He probably fawns all over her, and even if he was otherwise okay, she'd still probably grow bored with him.

He wants to marry me, and I don't want to lie and say I will. It disturbs me that he still wants to be together even though he knows I'm not happy with him. He believes that if he's happy, I will be, too.
He may be suicidal, as indicated by saying his life was in her hands. She should take him with her to a school counselor, and then tell the counselor what he said. Then, she should leave and it will morally and legally be in the counselor's hands.

Dear Abby responded:

Call his mother, tell her that you are ending the relationship and that he isn't taking it well. She's in a better position to see he gets emotional and psychological support than you are.
That might be a way to handle it, but what she going to do? Quit working?

Take him to the counselor. Adults who find themselves dealing with someone who threatens or hints at suicide if they are dumped should definitely do that. Set up a joint session with a licensed therapist, if not an actual psychiatrist. Start off the session explaining your concerns, tell the other person it is over, and leave. It will be in the hands of the therapist.

Well, on to the real gem of this installment, where someone is discussing an even more devious way of holding someone hostage than threatening to kill yourself...

KNOWS TOO MUCH IN BETHESDA wrote:

My best friend, "Heather," is trying to trick her husband into having another child.
Ah, yes. Now there's real intimacy. Trying to trick your husband into taking on another child, and telling other people about it.

Now, I know there is a school of thought out there that married couples should always welcome children and should not do anything to avoid conceiving children. By golly, they should probably be careful to let sperm optimally mature in his testicles until the time when she's going to be most fertile, and then go at it – in one position only. He should have intercourse with her at each ovulation, and, if he has intercourse with her, then he's virtually demanding more children. (If he doesn't have intercourse with her right then, then he's evil.)

But the majority of married couples don't subscribe to that thinking. I agree with Dr. Laura here – if one of them says "no", the change (which, in this case, would be going for another pregnancy) is a no-go. There are various forms of contraception, and if a wife is leading her husband to believe she is on contraception, she should not be on contraception.

They already have one, but he doesn't think they can handle two.
Maybe they can't. Kids are very time, money, and energy-consuming. Or, she might enjoy pregnancy and being a mother while he might have found that being a father is more than difficult enough with one child, and that his wife being pregnant, then postpartum and nursing and occupied with a baby - makes life hell for him. Pregnancy doesn't just do things to a wife's body (I found my wife especially beautiful and sexy while pregnant, but some men don't have the same reaction), it does things to her moods and her libido. It limits what she can do in general. And that's just the pregnancy. There's at least 18 years of intense involvement after that.

They have been fighting about this, and it has created problems in their marriage.
That's pretty common.

Heather confided to me recently that she is going to stop using birth control "just to see what will happen," and I'm pretty sure she's not going to tell her husband first.
There are many women out there – married or not – who lie by omission or commission about taking contraception. It's a rotten thing to do, and any man who either does not want to be a father or doesn't want any more children should get snipped and make sure his sperm count is zero. He can always bank some sperm if he thinks he may change his mind later.

While I condemn murder, certain things make a woman more likely to be a murder victim. How many women have been killed because they lied about contraception or their fertility? Okay, they were killed because the guy was a murderer, but you can see what I mean. While the guy may be caught and convicted, the victim and her baby are still dead.

Should I tell him, or keep my mouth shut and act surprised when Heather gets pregnant?
The wife made it this woman's business by telling her. It's pretty messed up, but again – all too common, that the wife has more intimacy with this woman than her own husband. So my advice would be YES, tell him. The wife may drop their friendship, but the wife shouldn't have said anything anyway, and has no moral ground to stand when she is telling other people she is thinking about deceiving her husband about something so important.

Dear Abby agreed.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Timing is everything. That first story strikes close to home.

    My fiancee of five years just told me last night that she is ending the relationship. In those five years, I supported her, her kids, and every interest she's ever had. I paid her mortgage a few times, and even was asked two days earlier for $500 because she was coming up short. Through it all, she's cheated on me, apologized, and done it again and again. I should be happy to be rid of her, but I'm not. So here I am getting shit-faced alone for the first time in ten years.

    I am devastated by all of this. I haven't anyone to whom I can turn to talk things out; my shrink is at some teaching gig for three more weeks, though she doesn't seem to give me much feedback anyway.

    BTW...It isn't just teens that hurt like this. I'm 49 and close to the same feelings.

    What the hell kind of power does these creatures have over us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, thanks for chiming in and I'm so sorry you are in this pain. I experienced some of that myself before. I hope things get cleared up and get better ASAP. Your last line is telling... bonding can be very, very powerful.

    Let your pain be a warning to others. In part because of the kind of pain you are experiencing now, I warn in my blog postings against financially supporting someone who isn't your spouse, and against getting into relationships with or even dating parents with minor (or financially dependent) children. Believe it or not, are your age, you can still find women right for you who don't have that kind of baggage. They aren't plentiful, but they are out there.

    I know you're really going through it right now, but hang in there. Things will get better. Assuming you two are through (and really, it does sound like you are way better off without her), that means you now have many more good possibilities to choose form. You'll also have more money in your pocket.

    My reference to teens also has to do with their lack of experience, their crazy horomones, and their higher rates of suicide.

    If you ever feel suicidal, get immediate help. There are some great times ahead... you just need to let the dark clouds move on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:43 AM

    Thank you for the response. I shall refrain from turning this blog space into a soap opera...well, more than I already have, anyway.

    The primary reason she gave was, quite literally, that I didn't do things her way in my own personal life, and that I dared resent her carping about them. She has been stuck in mom mode for a long time, and she is fiercely opinionated about everything. That by itself isn't a deal-breaker for me as I consider myself a strongly opinionated person as well. To my mind, we were not sharing a life yet, and until we were, there really is no discussion as to how I fix my car, or the manner in which I parent my own children. Once that life was shared i.e. after we were married, then things would be discussed jointly. Until then...no dice.

    I do feel better this morning. I see that she sent me a text message last night asking if I was still awake or not. I imagine she had more crap to fill the air with in her attempt at "keeping my friendship".

    I haven't answered it, nor will I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good plan.

    Once you get a little distance, try to figure out how you got into that situation... why did you pick her, or allow her to pick you as the case may be? How are you going to avoid making the same mistakes again?

    Think about all of the things you didn't like about the relationship that you don't have to deal with anymore. It will help you feel better and do better.

    I realized I kept picking women I couldn't marry, because some part of me knew that the marriages would not be happy and lasting... even with one where I felt we had a great thing together for years. You're right. You're not sharing a life until you are married. Someone can make a great girlfriend but not a great wife. But the flipside, once a woman is a wife, if she isn't also your "girlfriend", then she isn't likely to be a good wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:36 AM

    You are right, of course.

    I have already built up a theme park in my mind called "Things-I-Hated-About-Her Land". In there, you will find rides like:

    - The Endless Neediness Chair Drop

    - Passive-Agressive Rollercoaster

    - Radical Mood Swing Log Flume

    - Pie-In-The-Sky Wishful Thinking Chair Lift

    - Filthy,uUncleaned, un-maintained, smells of cat urine and dog poop Haunted House

    I am more than ready to give up my ride all day pass.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!