Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Bachelor and Bachelorette Franchise is Not About Matchmaking

And so passes another finale for a season of "The Bachelorette". My wife watches.

If you don't want the show spoiled for you, come back to this blog entry later.

Natalie Finn has this story for E! Online, corporate sibling to ABC. This is the one quote I picked out:

Here's a lesson to remember, girls - as nice as one man's 8-pack may be, go with the guy who thinks you're a genius.
Just as men looking for a wife need to see past the well-placed molecules to evaluate character traits of women, women need to do the same when it comes to men. If she looks well enough, she just might be able to find the guy with the 8-pack who also thinks she is a genius.

Back to the show.

So both (or three) dudes were ready to propose to her, and one actually did, and she accepted.

Are they still together? Will they be in another six months? This franchise has a terrible track record, as do most imitators/variations. I wrote about this previously. Everything I wrote still applies. How much time are these people really spending with each other, and over the course of how many weeks?

I understand that as a straight married male, this show isn't targeted towards me. But c'mon, ladies, do you watch thinking there's a good chance that these people are going to find lasting love with each other?

1 comment:

  1. As a straight married woman, I think I am in the target audience (EVERYONE else is watching). I can't watch it. I roll my eyes at it all. This is NOT the way to find a spouse! It's icky - imagine! You know half a dozen other women are all smooching on the guy you're trying to get to know. They force their emotions along to win the game. And, as we all know, emotions are temporary.

    Sigh.

    Bad TV.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!