Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Suspected Copper Wire Thieves Fried

Corina Knoll of the Los Angeles Times brings us a "stupid criminal" story.

The bodies of two men believed to have been electrocuted while stealing copper wiring were found early Tuesday on an abandoned driving range in Riverside County, authorities said.
So - was it worth it?

A spokeswoman with the coroner's office said the bodies were burned beyond recognition and would possibly be identified today.
Yes, we'll need those names for the Darwin Awards nomination.

"They were attempting to remove copper wire from inside what we call a pad-mount enclosure -- it's an electrical box or structure that contains high-voltage energized equipment," said Steve Conroy, a Southern California Edison spokesman.
The fire caused a 12,000-volt line connected to the circuit to go out of service, Conroy said, and about 1,600 residences in Hemet and San Jacinto were affected by a brief power outage.
What a shame that others were incovenienced.

Perhaps their buddies or siblings will leave a comment here talking about how they were actually involved in some complicated and noble effort to save lives, not stealing copper for cash? Or that since they were "great guys" and never stole copper wire from them I shouldn't discuss the article here?

Call me cold hearted, but I have little to no sympathy for a person who is injured or killed while engaging in some sort of immoral or rightly illegal activity. Have I ever been immoral? Yes, many times, and I deserved every problem that came my way while being immoral.

3 comments:

  1. Have you been feeling a little grumpy lately?

    On one hand I agree, on another, the loss of a loved one, even a stupid one, is painful and disruptive. It's easy to make light of the situation until your in it. Not too long ago, in my area we had a teenage boy climb an electrical pole and fall to his death and a young lady get hit trying to cross the highway at night. Stupid and tragic (and illegal probably).

    People make poor choices and sometimes it gets them killed ... a little sensitivity is all I'm suggesting. (also, I wasn't convinced that other commenter was legitimate...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I haven't been getting enough sleep. I need to post home happy stories, or at least get back to commenting about sex and relationships.

    I guess it is just that, with life being so short as it is, and with all of the disease, "innocent" accidents, disasters, and violence perpetrated out there that can kill you, I have much less sympathy for people who do something like try to steal, rob, kill, or even just damage or destroy property, and the end up getting injured or killed in the the process. No, nobody is perfect, but I have an special disdain for harming someone else against their will or without their consent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry...I have less sympathy. When you do something illegal and stupid then you do deserve what you get. The Darwin Awards crack me up and yes I'm laughing at death. Sorry if that's uncaring.

    ReplyDelete

Please no "cussing" or profanities or your comment won't be published. I have to approve your comment before it appears. I won't reject your comment for disagreement - I actually welcome disagreement. But I will not allow libelous comments (which is my main reason for requiring approval) and please try to avoid profanities. Thanks!